Tuesday, May 27, 2008

poodles on parade

I don't want to get angry with the way things are, but I have to admit I am frustrated. It just seems as though there is so much wasted energy in the church. Everyone is running around doing something, but what are we accomplishing? What are we building?

I surveyed a few church websites recently and took a special interest in reading up on the ministries they offered. Most of the ministries offered were for the purpose of the weekend services. Ushers, Music, Greeters, Media, Parking Lot, Children, Youth, Translators, Custodial, etc. If we took away the "Service" could then the church find any other way to serve? The bigger the event, the more energetic hands needed, the more smiling faces required.

Remember when the church had ministries that served people beyond the armspan of a Service. Meaning, the Church itself is a service to everyone within reach and even beyond. The fact that people gathered made it church, the 'Service' is our ritual. I enjoy services for the most part. I like to sing songs with friends and smile and look pretty and even more than that I appreciate the encouragement through the word and the challenge to live louder when a decision is made by a "new comer" to choose Christ.
I go to gather. I go to hear. I go because it is a part of what keeps me healthy. I go to Give. I go to have conversations and experience the presence of God with others and not just on my own. I do not go to be entertained. I do not go to find the answers. I do not go to be noticed. I do not go to meet God.
So sometimes when I am walking through the double doors and I see the "festivities" beginning and the folks are taking their places, and the serious faces are speaking into hidden mics and the singers are awaiting their cue and the video roles and the lights begin to dazzle, I whisper to myself, "Oye with the poodles already". And then I stand and courteously join in.

1 comment:

Swodeck said...

poodles are my least favorite kind of dog. when watching a dog show on the tele, their appearance prompts me to go get a snack or use the loo.

beyond that. something must be done. i was reading about george barna' s new book, pagan christianity. it basically speaks to use of pagan or ritualistic pretenses used in modern church services that are revered as sacred rites from the bible. are theses supporting individuals to grow in their "purpose-driven" life or they merely a crutch as many "emergent" thinkers believe.

the time is coming when we as a church must take a 360 degree look at the world around us and ask ourselves how good a job are we actually doing and what more can be done.

WWJD?